Newminster is a 9 – 13 middle school.
There are currently 540 pupils on roll.
KEY STAGE 2
- Years 5 + 6
- In Year 5 there are 5 tutor groups.
- In Year 6 there are 5 tutor groups.
- In Key Stage 2 the children have most of their lessons in their tutor room.
- We feel that allowing children to remain in their tutor room for most lessons helps them to make a smooth transition from first to middle school.
KEY STAGE 3
- Years 7 + 8
- In Year 7 there are 4 tutor groups.
- In Year 8 there are 4 tutor groups.
- In Key Stage 3 the children move around the school to their lessons in specialist rooms.
- Moving around school for different lessons gives the children the responsibility of following a timetable, and we feel that this is good preparation for the high school.
THE HOUSE SYSTEM
The children belong to one of 4 houses.
Each house is identified by colour:
Collingwood – Red
Dacre – Blue
Howard – Green
Mitford – Yellow
Various inter house competitions take place during the school year.
Children wear a polo shirt in their house colour.