The aims of our PE department:
Here at Newminster we aim to:
- maintain and stimulate pupil interest and enjoyment in P.E. and to promote health, well being and fitness for current and future lifestyles.
- enable pupils to be familiar with a body of knowledge, principles and vocabulary related to P.E.
- enable pupils to see P.E. as: a major feature in our lives; and part of a wider body of knowledge and skills, e.g. interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- enable pupils to understand: and use safe practice and to appreciate its importance in P.E.; the short and long term effects of exercise on the body; and the role of exercise in a fit and healthy lifestyle.
- enable pupils to develop a range of desirable personal qualities such as safety awareness, perseverance, concern for others, initiative and independence. The establishment of pupil self esteem through the development of physical confidence is a major aim of the Department.
- enable pupils to work independently and as part of a team in varied activities, so as P.E. contributes to the development of core skills such as communication by speech.
- employ teaching methods and resources that allow all pupils (irrespective of their gender, ethnic origin, academic ability, etc.) to have equal access to P.E., and to experience success and enjoyment in their P.E. work.
- develop an awareness in pupils of the implications of sport and physical activity (past and present) for the individual and the local, national and international communities.
- allow pupils to develop informed opinions and to be able to support them by reasonable arguments.
Click here to see the curriculum overview for all year groups.
Click here to see an overview of the extra curricular timetable on offer for each term
Click here to see a list of forthcoming sporting events, within and out of school.
Click here to see correct PE kit.